“Over? Did you say ‘over’? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!”
Development camp wrapped up last Saturday and the kids have boarded flights to destinations across the world . . . but July Hockey lives on in DC. Tomorrow marks the third annual Dave Fay Memorial Hockey Game in honor of the long-time Caps beat writer for The Washington Times, who lost his battle with cancer in July of 2007.
A grassroots organization of Washington Capitals hockey fans, Put Cancer On Ice (PCOI) sponsors monthly pick-up hockey games in a Maryland versus Virginia format. PCOI devotes its July game to Fay. The 2008 edition raised over $8,300 for Hockey Fights Cancer.
The 2009 edition starts at Kettler Capitals Iceplex tomorrow at 4:00 p.m. Highlights include:
- The Netminder Battle: Former Miss Virginia Tara Wheeler and Capitals radio play by play voice Steve Kolbe will each be in goal for the first period.
- Caps’ Defenseman Brian Pothier is scheduled to drop the puck and sign autographs.
- Multiple silent auction items:
- 2008-2009 Washington Capitals Jersey, signed by the entire team
- Autographed Alexander Ovechkin collectible figure
- Game program, commemorative puck and commemorative jersey patch from Mike Gartner retirement night, all individually autographed by Gartner
- Official NHL game puck, autographed by Mike Green
If you can’t make it to Kettler for the game on Saturday, consider making a donation to PCOI. Information can be found at their website.