It’s been a while since we had some good ol’ Knee Jerks for a game, and between pucksandbooks and myself, we should be able to get at least one nugget of interest out there. Or not.
- Big crowd tonight, both in the stands and in the press box.
- There’s a new contender for noise during the national anthem: screaming “RED” at “the rockets’ red glare.” Oh goody.
- Lots of love for Olie- during the anthem (the ubiquitous “O” turned into “O-lie”) and immediately afterwards (“O-lie, O-lie”).
- Overheard: “Ten bucks says Olie doesn’t make it to the tribute video.” Ouch.
- Sure enough, the tribute video is on pretty quickly after the second goal. Very classy of the fans to give the man a standing O. And nice touch at the end: “Olie Kolzig #37, A Capital Forever.” Fine work by the Caps’ video staff.
- Nice job in killing off that four-minute Brashear penalty, not to mention some great short-handed chances. Only a few years ago, I would have dreaded the thought of a four-minute PK.
- The Spirit Squad is helping us clap to the organ music. Thank you, Red Rockers. (Seriously, though, they’re fairly low-key, for which I am grateful. Dance routines at a hockey game seem kind of cheesy, but they’re not distracting.)
- I couldn’t tell if the Fan of the Game was embarrassed to have the spotlight on him or just didn’t care. The eye rolls were hard to read.
- I freely admit to enjoying the “Funny Follies” clips of guys getting hit in the groin and kids landing face-first into the ground. Good crowd-pleaser.
- More crowd-pleasing: featuring both Goat and the Horn Guy on a split screen to energize the fans. And, of course, “UNLEASH THE FURY” is always a big hit.
- That sound was the collective gasp of thousands of relieved fans, who were happy to see Ovechkin score a goal at last.
Good, solid effort tonight- hope it continues!